This post previously ran on July 21, 2015.
More and more people are discovering all the great things credit unions have to offer and are becoming members. As not-for-profit institutions, credit unions are made of real people doing their best to look out for the community. Here are some of the top reasons your friends are joining credit unions:
- They add value to the community. From organizing drives for local causes to the Miracle Match philanthropic program, which provides financial assistance to Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals across the nation, credit unions genuinely care about their members—and their actions speak volumes. With a positive social mission, they seek to add value—not take away—from individuals and communities.
- They’re committed to the cause. Credit unions go above and beyond to improve the financial well-being of their members. With apps by CO-OP such as RealPay, a person-to-person payment app; and Sprig®, which serves as a virtual credit union and combines multiple banking accounts, credit unions are committed to providing resources to help you stay on top of your finances.
- They’re a one-stop shop for loans. Whether you’re starting college, beginning your career, buying a car or home, traveling or seeking a business loan, credit unions can help you at any stage in your life. Members can benefit from higher returns on savings, fewer fees and lower rates on auto loans, personal loans and home equity loans.
- They’re a great place to start building credit. It can be frustrating to establish good credit when you’re just starting out. With lower rates on loans, easy-to-understand terms, and employees who will walk you through the application process, credit unions make it easy to build the credit you’ll need to reach long-term goals.
- They’re easy to find and accessible. This isn’t the little bank down on the corner your parents used to go to. With 3,500 credit unions and 30,000 surcharge-free machines that are part of the CO-OP network in all 50 states, it has never been easier to find a local branch and get services and guidance.
- They offer amazing customer service. When it comes to top-notch customer service, credit unions can’t be beat. The American Customer Satisfaction Index (2012) ranked credit unions 82 on a scale of 100, whereas banks scored only 77. Plus, in an annual consumer satisfaction survey in The American Banker of banks, thrifts and credit unions, they were ranked first for 21 consecutive years … then the survey was discontinued.
- They’re a trusted source for financial advice. Credit unions have long been a reliable resource for trusted advice on your finances. Members across the nation rely on their credit union for sound guidance and to help them build a solid financial future. Plus you always have the option of picking up the phone and speaking to a human being on the other end.
- They make finances less intimidating. Credit unions are the perfect combination, offering the full range of services of a big bank without, well, being a big bank. The personal approach and genuine interest credit unions have in taking care of their members makes money matters less scary. On top of that, you can take comfort in the fact that you won’t be pegged with high fees.
- They’ve got you connected digitally. With mobile apps, digital wallets and online bill pay, credit unions have the latest and greatest in digital banking services. With a few quick swipes on your phone, you’ll have immediate access to your accounts anywhere, anytime. Don’t just take our word for it. To learn more about all that credit unions have to offer, check out one near you.